Last week we started looking at whether or not it is time to start writing your book. Your life has eased up some or you are feeling a strong inner urge to do it now. The first questions we considered were:
- Why write a book at all?
- What is the underlying message you want to share in this book?
- What topic related to this message are you ready to live with for the next few years?
Following are some additional questions to answer before committing your time and energy to creating a book your readers will be interested in reading and you can be proud of putting your name on.
- Why now?
In order to stick with the process long enough to complete it you need to have a certain sense of urgency around writing it now.
- You have the inner knowing that your time is now. Never doubt the value of your inner messages.
- It may be a topic whose time has come ‘in the world’ and you want to take advantage of the general interest in the topic.
- You may be ready to add an additional source of income to your business.
5. Why you?
A question I always have my clients look at is Is this truly mine to do? It is so easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm of others. They like the way you teach a particular topic. Or they think you could write a terrific book on sales. Or they think it is time that a new book be written about a topic that you are knowledgeable in.
The question to ask yourself is whether or not you feel the same commitment to the topic and to this method of sharing the topic with the world. If in your heart and soul you are committed to writing a book on this topic, it will happen. If not, you will never be able to meet the deadlines you and others set long the way. Time will melt. You will be apologetic. But your piece of the work won’t get done.
6. Who is your intended audience?
Have you identified your ideal reader of your book?
- The individual reader down to
- life experiences,
- icons on her smart phone.
- The larger group of readers as a whole:
- Are they familiar with your topic or are they ‘newbies?”
- What common interests do they share?
- What problems do they need to solve?
The answers to these questions, along with the questions you considered last week, can help you decide if the time is now for your book. Start by reflecting on each question, jotting down your answers.
My clients have found that having a sounding board makes it easier for them to get to the deeper answers that support both the early and the later decisions surrounding writing a book.
* * * * *
If you would like some help with this I’d love to partner with you as your Book Enchantress. It’s time to share your powerful gift with the Universe.
Give me a call at 843-593-0045 or use this link to schedule a call to talk about what is involved.