You’ve raised your family. Your business doesn’t need the same level of your direct attention. That book you have talked about writing forever is rising higher on your priority list.
How can you decide if this is the time to move forward on your book?
- Not the time to move forward by reading the latest bestseller in your field.
- Not the time to move forward by reading another mindset shifting book.
- Not the time to move forward by reading another of the books purchased and stacked on your bookshelf when Oprah recommended it.
- But the time to consider moving forward by actually writing your own book.
There are some questions I take my clients through at this point to gain clarity on whether or not this is the time. Writing your book will consume time and energy. The more clarity you have about the whole process, the more successful you will be. The first three questions follow:
- First, why write a book at all?
You can have more than one reason. A short list of possibilities includes to:
- Respond to a strong internal belief that your message needs to be shared now.
- Share your personal story with your family.
- Add stature and authority to yourself as a businessperson or speaker.
- Add an additional income stream to your business.
- Provide something to sell at the back of the room after giving a speech.
2. What is the underlying message you want to share in this book?
- Life lessons you have learned in one or more of the stages of your life.
- Your perspective regarding an important issue of the day.
- How to be more successful in one or more aspects of business.
3. What topic related to this message are you ready to live with for the next few years?
Your book will be associated with you in a variety of ways over the next few years. You will be thinking about the topic while researching and writing it. You will be sharing it with others before and after it is published. You will be giving speeches about it. Years from now a family member or new acquaintance may ask you if you were the author of this book.
Before you commit yourself to this specific topic be sure it is one that you want people to equate with your name forever.
* * * * *
These are some questions that can help you decide if the time is now for your book. Next week we’ll look at some additional questions. Start by reflecting on each question, jotting down your thoughts.
My personal experience is that I can only get so far in the process on my own. It takes having a conversation with someone else to help me get to the deeper answers that will move me forward.
If you would like some help with this I’d love to partner with you as your Book Enchantress. It’s time to share your powerful gift with the Universe.
Give me a call at 843-593-0045 or use this link to schedule a call to talk about what is involved.